Backgrounds
Wood Backgrounds

Sunday, March 27, 2011

An Inspiring Song

So I was thinking, about how many things I have, and how much I take for granted.  I know this sounds like a depressing thing to think about but I was given a gift today that came all the way from Africa.

This morning I went to church and witnessed a beautiful message. I went expecting great music, because Cornerstone's band touches my heart every time I go, but today this uplifting message came from a group of 9-14 year olds. As a teacher, I know the joy that one can receive from children, but these children not only brought me joy they challenged me this morning.

Mwangaza Children’s Choir
This choir is a group of children who are from Uganda and are almost all poverty-stricken and/or orphaned, but you would never know it from the smiles on their faces. I saw them preform one song this morning and then had the pleasure of going back tonight with two friends to see their whole inspiring show. It was such an uplifting experience.

These children come from towns that are without clean drinking water. They are surrounded by horrible environments, where some families even starve to death. The worst images you can imagine are what these children are brought up in.  The choir, however, has a happier story than most. They are the lucky children who have been sponsored; people have given money so these children can go to school, have a uniform, and have food to eat. The thought of children not being able to go to school and not having food tugged on my heartstrings, especially the school part since I am a soon to be teacher.  This led my thoughts to the classroom I am in right now, and how much food my children throw away at lunch time.  I have children in my class that will throw away most of their meal if they don't like it.  I know that I have let meals go uneaten at places where I did not like what I had ordered and this makes me sad knowing that these children are thankful for every meal that they are given, not caring about the taste.  They truly know what it means to go without. I feel like in today's time, we live in a very material obsessed society, always wanting more, even when we can not afford it. (but this topic could be a whole other post, so I will move on.)

These children have already overcome many obstacles in their life, but what was most impressive is their LOVE for our Lord and Savior.  These children know that they are loved by the One who created them and know that He is the reason that they were the lucky ones to be sponsored. These children shone with pride singing about their Father who loved them.  Their singing was amazing but their love of God and devotion to him was inspiring. They quoted their favorite verses(some quoting 5 verses at a time) and children, not even teenagers yet, shared their testimony in front of a church of hundreds of people.  If ever there was a picture of courage, hope, and a passion for God, it was in the eyes of these beautiful young children.

Tonight they challenged me to be a better follower: to really make an effort not to take anything for granted, to grow closer to my God through scripture, and to thank Him for everything He has given me, because I am truly blessed to have grown up in the way that I did. Thank you to everyone who has made a difference in my life so far; I know I am not finished growing as a Christian woman, but today I was reminded to challenge myself in my walk, to know Him on a deeper level and to remember how blessed a life can be when God is in control. These children know how important these things are and are only 10 years old. They should be an inspiration to all of us.

Jeremiah 29: 11
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Seems you had quite the inspiring day! You can use fotoflexer.com to add a picture to your blog header up there...let me know if you want me to help! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious...thanks for sharing. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete